Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Sad Loss of Sentimentality

Dear hearts,

It is with sadness that I must share with you the loss of sentimentality in Miss Mich. I can't find it. And I have looked everywhere.

I'm thinking of putting up signs on telegraph poles, maybe taking out an ad in the classifieds..

Compassion is still there inside and last time I checked there is some empathy still unused on the shelf in the back of the cupboard that is my beating heart..

I am pretty much stocked up on enthusiasm, as evidenced by my love of sport (both types) and curiosity is the bully that takes up a lot of shelves, often pushing away the quiet achiever that is introspection, but that is only because my favourite naughty child - denial - is so demanding. My best friend (one of many as I have said), Sha ron (pronounced with a french accent and grav on top), likes to organise "weekends of denial" where she and I drink outrageously coloured daquiries for breakfast and lie around resort pools toasting " the happy people". In our dark and twisted hearts, we do not wish them well...I'll have to say a few Hail Mary's to get out of that one...

So what to do? 

I could spend a weekend watching syrupy movies like...dirty dancing or that one with Shirley McLaine and the daughter... Its obvi I'm not very good at this...

No, I think I am just going to learn to live without sentimentality for the moment. Until then I think I will just have to make do with Margaritas by the pool. Maybe after three or four I might clean out the cupboard...I think I remember seeing a small box up on the top shelf, right at the back...

Enjoy Thursday.

Love Mich

2 comments:

  1. Missmitch, sentimentality is the art of "remembering" the love, compassion and warmth of times past, while forgetting the associated anguish, pain and frustration.

    Just look forward, life is what you make of from now on, not what you (selectively) remember of times past...

    Alternatively bring on Alzhiemers, then you can't even get sentimental about what you had for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is way too sentimental a comment for Miss Mich.

    Thank goodness I can't remember that I had two(!) hot cross buns for breakfast, my cross (on my hips) to bear..

    ReplyDelete