Thursday, January 14, 2010

That's What I Want

Dear hearts,

I want it. I want it all. And I want it all now. I speak on behalf of myself and Piglet obvi.

Desire.

Same category as Breath. You breathe it. It lives in you. I for one, will submit. It consumes me.

And why not? If one has to go, that, in my opinion, is the only way to go.

Fall back into the soft embrace of desire. Give yourself up to the grip, the bite, the intensity of desire. And be thankful.

Desire takes no prisoners. That is what I like most about it. Why it deserves the capital letter. It makes no excuses for itself. It very often has no conscience (like Piglet). It exists to serve itself. And we, Dear hearts, exist only to serve it.

It may not be the most noble of virtues. But it does not pretend to be so. Know thyself. And I think Desire does. Desire sits on the right hand of the Sybarite. Across from Bacchus. Goes to the same gym as Adonis and Venus. Hangs out with Pan and picks up hunting tips from Diana. Well connected really.

Is not Desire at the best parties? The best clubs? In the social pages of the Sunday paper…and for certain red faced politicians, the front pages of the daily papers.

Desire knows what it wants. And when it does, is focused on the prize. I realize, Dear hearts, I too am focused on talking about the prize. I too, know what I want and am determined.

Back to the topic at hand. Desire is a delicious thing to have in one’s life. It stirs the blood, stimulates the mind and the body has no choice but to follow. There is no one, and I mean no one, who has not been caught in the grip of desire. And I’m not just talking about sport.

Desire is such an individual and personal thing. It can be held tightly in one’s heart or one’s mind, never to be revealed or admitted to. The dark desire. We all have at least one dark desire. I would love to have each one of you, Dear hearts, whisper yours in my ear. I promise not to tell…

And then there are the common desires that we all share. To love and to be loved. To be successful. And for some, the desire to understand the great mysteries.

The tricky thing with the universal desire, is its potential to be unrequited. To have the big desires, such as “to be loved” on our list of things to achieve is a big ask, Dear hearts. We idealise the perfect love. We put it on that pedestal along with the perfect childhood, the perfect day, the perfect margarita…We can, however, live with the duality of Perfection v Reality. Because, Dear hearts, we can create our own perfection within our day to day reality. We can do this by the generosity of acceptance. By letting go preconceived ideas, common perceptions and embracing honestly what it is we love and giving ourselves up without condition.

Without desire we are so much the poorer, so very plain. To desire is to feel the frisson of anticipation. The thrill of what may come. Desire is a good driver. Having said that, I’m not too sure I would make Desire the designated driver on a big night out. Who knows where you may end up.

But without the uncertainty, without really knowing, without Desire…where would we be?

Small, Dear hearts, small.

Live large and enjoy the weekend.

With love
Miss Mich

No comments:

Post a Comment