Sunday, December 6, 2009

Reason v Instinct...or Red or Green Frogs

Dear hearts,

Miss Mich has a very special relationship with her belly. The Bright Young Things filled it to the top (big babies all) for three consecutive years. It bears, even now, the lightning strikes of broken tissue where they grew and lolled around enjoying their time suspended. Sending out their signals to me with the occasional little foot or elbow waving just to say hello. It is very noisy, also, making its digestive presence felt at every turn of the clock, not just when it is empty.

My belly is an integral player on Miss Mich’s sporting team. Without those muscles the highs and little cries (and surprises) would be so much quieter. I have lost count as to how many times those little abs have taken the MVP award at the end of a long and boisterous event.

Just as importantly, Miss Mich’s belly is the home of her Instinct. The place where her impulse and intuition speaks the loudest (along with those gastric gurgles). If Miss Mich listens, the answers are there and invariably right. Notice I said if…

Sometimes Miss Mich gets sidetracked by Reason and dismisses the noises in her belly as mere cries for food…not consideration. This could be simply described as Head v Heart. Age old battle nest pas? Imagine the football game. Head would be green and have Pele as Captain. Heart would be red..obvi..and have as its errant Capitan George Best. I suspect David Beckham would be on the red team as well. He has great instinct and don’t get me started on his abs…just as long as he doesn’t open his mouth.

You see, Reason is getting in the way and distracting me by having me come to, and explain my conclusions. With my better friend Instinct, I would be already on my way to the TAB to put my money on red…

Reason has its place, Dear hearts. I am not suggesting it does not. Academically, as a noun, Reason is one of my absolute favourite Capital letter worthy subjects. If you subscribe to Kant, Reason is intellect personified. On paper I agree. Kant also puts forward the argument that God and Reason are one. Personally, I think that is a bit of a stretch. Without Reason we are without the ability to come to a logical conclusion. Reason and facts go together, that’s why lawyers love reason. I bet they love green frogs as well..

It’s a bit like the survey I have been loosely conducting. Red or Green Frogs? So much is revealed by your choice. Miss Mich, it goes without saying, is a red frog girl. Most of Miss Mich’s closest confidents are red frog people. I could even go as far as to say that I think twice about a green frog person. Are you sure? Would you like to think about it? …

Back to my belly. It could be described as many things. My inner compass steering the good ship MM. My internal water diviner…again, a bit of a stretch, but, you know.. go with the flow, trust your waters…Seriously though, if you look at the meaning of Instinct as described in the Concise Oxford: Innate propensity to certain seemingly rational acts performed without conscious intention. Or like Nike says: “Just do it”. It is I must confess my preferred way to navigate this life.

I have saved the most special service my belly provides me until last. The gift of warmth that is where love lives in me. It is a little spot in a secret space that radiates and spreads. I just need to listen and trust it.

I leave you with the wisdom of Mr Kenny Rogers.

Know when to hold ‘em
Know when to fold ‘em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run…

You can decide that Dear hearts by choosing to have the red or the green frog…

Enjoy the choice.

Love
Miss Mich

No comments:

Post a Comment