Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Illusion is the first of all pleasures


Dear hearts,

Energy. Inestimable. Without it we are nothing.

Interaction. Also inestimable. Without it we are nothing.

Put the two together and Bang! …Throw language into the mix and Big Bang!

Aside from the Carbon Tax debate, which I am not prepared to have here, short of saying I believe it is ultimately the Emperors New Clothes, energy is what it is all about. I just love it. The interaction of all that beautiful energy makes Miss Mich want to know more about quantum mechanics and particle physics. I just love a good oscillating proton, electron, neutron et al. I’m jumping on the String Theory and Superstring Theory bandwagons, hitching my wagons to the possibility of both being contenders for the Theory of Everything. (Don’t you love a sweeping statement kind of title).

Richard Feynmen had me at “quantum mechanics deals with nature as she is – absurd”. Adorable nes pas?

I love the definition of a string as a one dimensional filament of energy. We may not be one dimensional Dear hearts, but essentially, are we not filaments of energy oscillating in the universe looking for a like minded filament to bump into. I like to think of fermions as the girls and bosons as the boys. We fermions spinning in front of those forceful bosuns, just trying to impress…swishing our skirts and sending those bosons crazy. Quantum field theory starts to get a bit tricky from here on in so enough of my Big Bang segue ways. I’m really more Penny than Sheldon in this regard. Having said that I completely empathise with most of Sheldon’s opinions and think he makes tremendous sense. And that Soft Kitty lullaby is a cracker.

A little energy, a little interaction and now to language. It is our evolutionary trump card. Can you imagine trying to explain quantum field theory with grunts and gestures? It is all well and good to have an opposable thumb, but without language how is one to explain the intricacies of feeling blue, the nuance of a carefully constructed sonnet or describe what jelly feels like sliding down….hmmm, I’m afraid words escape me here Dear hearts.

Jelly aside, I just love words. Without them I would not have you right here, right now, hanging on my every…

I think adjectives are my favourite words. Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?..let me use these words to tell you how. Thou art more lovely and more temperate. And verbs. Love the doing words, just love doing it…

Then there is the derivation and evolution of words. In the same way as tracing back through time the mysteries and the origin of the universe, etymology takes us on a journey to discover the history, origin and changes in form and meaning of our beautiful, complex language. Tracing the transmission from one language to another, identifying it’s cognates in other languages. But you know all this Dear hearts.

Language and words are the ultimate tools to have packed in your little swag. Words can be used for great good and also at times when one must cut with the proverbial verbal knife. Having said that, in the opinion of Miss Mich and most like minded folk, there is no place for sarcasm and cheap shots. No one has respect for such common insults such as these. Keep your wits about you and use your wit. One may be caustic but never toxic. One may thrust and parry with verve, élan and erudition. As we have spoken about in a previous tete et tete, a good accent also helps. Nothing like keeping your ing in place when one needs a little “fucking” emphasis to keep the debate on point. And if possible, throw in the odd Oscar Wilde quote. I will leave you with one of my favourites.

“You seem to forget that I am married, and the one charm of marriage is that it makes a life of deception absolutely necessary for both parties”

If that doesn’t do the trick,

“Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much”

Enjoy erudition.

With forgiveness
Miss Mich

No comments:

Post a Comment